So, I’ve been quietly enjoying Legion for the past three weeks just trying to wrap my head around what was going on. This week’s episode has busted the door wide open and I’m 1000% on board and obsessed with Legion.
Here was my understanding of this show: David Haller is a schizophrenic mental patient/junkie. Then he realized that he isn’t schizophrenic, he just has mental powers. Then Melanie Bird of the Summerland mutant facility found him and helped him escape from Division 3 which I believe is a government agency trying to eradicate David’s powers.
But episode 4 has made me fall in love with this show. Unlike other popular shows such as Westworld that tricks you into watching every week not because you care about their basic and derivative storyline but because you just want to make sure your fan theories com true, Legion hooks you in visually and flips your perceptions upside down.
Yes, Legion has it’s own mysteries and cloudy figures but you don’t know there’s a twist about to happen until it happens. There’s no real theorizing. For example, this entire time we were led to believe that David’s friend Lenny, who has been essentially haunting him since her inadvertent death when David was escaping Clockworks, was his drug addict friend. This episode had a MASSIVE reveal that not only was the real life Lenny just some dude named Benny but all of David’s memories appear to be fake and planted there by someone else.
Chapter 4 shout outs:
- Shout out to David’s childhood dog, King, who he played with every day oh, and who never actually existed. No one wants to bury their own pet and no one wants to find out that their own pet is imaginary. That’s like, the worst. Ugh.
- Shout out to Oliver Bird for reminding me how much I love Jermaine Clement. I demand that from now, every TV show includes a groovy Kiwi from the 60’s to explain the Astral Plane to us.
- Shout out to the Cary and Kerry for explaining that they are the same person or something while simultaneously confusing me more. I sort of, kind of think I understand but they also might be dead so I guess I’m off the hook here. Thank you, weird dude with a perm and a Bill Cosby cloudy eye.
- Shout out to Philly for possibly not existing either. I’ll be honest, I didn’t understand her scene when she warned Syd to watch out but at the same time, I don’t understand any scenes so it was just business as usual I suppose.
- Shout out to Lenny for getting David to use his powers and possibly revealing that she is pretty much his Boogie Man. I don’t know how or why she has manifested herself as a gender neutral Aubrey Plaza but it’s 2017 so I try not to ask questions like that anymore.
Cannot wait for next week’s episode when we find out that they’re all still dreaming or that none of his memories or real or that his sister Amy isn’t real or something crazy. Can’t wait.