The Minnesota Timberwolves season ended before it even started when Jimmy Butler took the summer off and then rolled off the couch to drive over to the practice facility at the very end of the preseason to absolutely embarrass Karl-Anthony Towns and Andrew Wiggins in order to prove that HE should have a max contract, not those two.
Let’s quickly recap what else happened:
- Finished 11th in the Western Conference with a 36-46 record.
- Karl-Anthony Towns averaged 24.4 points, 12.4 rebounds
- Andrew Wiggins and Derrick Rose both averaged 18 of the most meaningless points per game.
- Jimmy Butler traded to the Sixers for Dario Saric and Robert Covington
- Tom Thibodeau was fired as coach and general manager thus making him the final person who will ever be given both responsibilities at the same time because he was garbage at both.
How to fix the Minnesota Timberwolves:
- Let every expired contract go. Taj Gibson, Anthony Tolliver, Jerryd Bayless. Luol Deng and Derrick Rose are all entering free agency this summer. Say your goodbyes now and let those bums leave.
The only player on that list that they should even consider looking at is Anthony Tolliver. Tolliver is a big man that can shoot from the perimeter and stretch opposing defenses. He shot 37% from 3. Decent.
But Thibodeau built an antiquated roster of vets that do can only do one thing on a basketball court and they don’t do that one thing particularly well anymore. Embrace youth.
2. Give the keys to Tyus Jones and Josh Okogie. Speaking of Embracing youth, it’s impossible to watch what De’Aaron Fox and Buddy Hield did this past season together and not think Tyus Jones and Josh Okogie are up next.
Karl-Anthony Towns is an absolute monster. There is no denying that fact. There is also no denying that his domination seems to have zero effect on wins and losses.
It’s a guard driven league and the Wolves will never succeed unless their young backcourt is allowed to play and develop into the Nothern Splash Brothers. Or at the very least, Brad Beal and John Wall. There are a lot of good backcourts and they can be next. You get my point.
3. Trade Andrew Wiggins. Wiggins has one of the dumbest contracts in the NBA considering he has no idea how to play basketball but he has a max deal somehow.
He shot 41% from the field and 69% from the free throw line. He’s also one of the worst defenders in the league.
But most importantly, he was one of the top college basketball recruits of the decade and he’s only 24 years old. Athletically, there is still so much potential there. A team will take a flyer on him.
The Chicago Bulls just traded for Otto Porter who makes $27 million the next two seasons. Teams that have money but aren’t hot free agent destinations will make a move for Wiggins. Look at Detroit acquiring Blake Griffin two years ago. Shit, Detroit could trade for Wiggins too.
All Minnesota has to do is find a general manager who is about to get fired and trick them into thinking that this big ‘blockbuster’ trade will save their jobs (or a new GM who sucks and wants to make a big splash *cough* I dare you to bring Wiggins to Charlotte, Mitch Kupchak you coward *cough*)
4. Get Jeff Teague the fuck out here. Jeff Teague sucks. This might be personal because I genuinely hate watching this man play basketball because he dribbles the ball into dust for the entire shot clock only to take a contested jumper.
It never made sense for the Wolves to bring in Teague for $19 million a year as a replacement for Ricky Rubio. He’s the polar opposite type of point guard.
It’s never a great sign when you get benched for Derrick Rose, a man without knees. Quick team building fact: It does not make sense to have the third biggest contract against your cap to be a bench player.
I know he was struggling with injuries but he’s also 31 years old. That’s what happens to 31-year old basketball players. Unless you can trick Phoenix into trading for Jeff Teague, just cut him. Fuck it. Cut him and stretch his contract.
Honestly, ignore the first 3 steps. Just get Jeff Teague OUUUT of here.
- 5 Biggest Winners and Losers of the 2019 NBA Draft Lottery
- The Las Vegas Aces Just Became The Most Exciting Team in Sports
- If Miguel Andujar Plays Another Game This Season Then The Entire Yankees Training Staff Must Be Thrown Into a Volcano
- 17 Thoughts After Watching Kawhi Leonard Hit The Biggest Game 7 Shot in NBA History
- Ben Shapiro’s Voice Sounds Exactly The Way He Looks